Recently I had my 6 month check-up at the dentist. Both my doctor and hygienist commented on how healthy my mouth was, and asked what I do to keep my teeth and gums so clean. When I told them I just floss and use my homemade toothpaste*, my hygienist asked me to tell her the recipe so she could try it. I’ve had so many people ask how I make my toothpaste so I thought I’d share it!
Ingredients: (most of the ingredients below can be purchased from Vitacost)
- 5 tbsp Calcium Powder
- 2 tbsp Baking Soda
- 3-4 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 10 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract (optional)
- .5-1 tsp Trace Minerals (optional)
- High-Quality, Ingestible Essential Oils – I like peppermint, orange, or lemon (optional)
- Mix powdered ingredients together in a bowl
- Add melted coconut oil until you get your desired consistency (keep in mind your toothpaste will harden a bit after a few hours – unless you are storing it in a very warm area!)
- Add any optional ingredients until you get a taste you like
- Store in an air-tight glass container
That’s it! I’ve been brushing with this homemade toothpaste for almost 2 years, and since then I’ve had no new cavities, and it has even kept some of my almost-cavities (teeth that are “on watch”) at bay. I should also mention that I floss every day and water rinse my teeth after every meal, so it’s not just the toothpaste alone that will keep your teeth healthy.
Do you make your own toothpaste? If so, do you use any additional ingredients that I don’t list above?
*Original recipe and additional information can be found here. I modified the recipe slightly for my own preferences and tastes.